» White Text, Black Background
» Yellow Text, Black Background
» Black Text, White Background
» Default Colors
x Close
800-284-4422
  Change Colors      Text Only      Resize Text A A A  
HIstory
Caring Since 1914

1914   The first formal meeting of the New York Guild for the Jewish Blind is held. The organization would provide care and support for needy blind Jewish children and improve the physical, mental, and economic conditions for blind adults.

1919   The Guild opens a home in Yonkers to care for blind Jewish children. In succeeding years, a cottage for blind women and an annex for blind men were added. 

1935   The Braille Library opens. It will become famous for transcribing textbooks for blind Jewish children.

1951   The Guild School opens.

1960   The New York Guild for the Jewish Blind is renamed The Jewish Guild for the Blind to reflect its non-sectarian status.

1961   The Guild opens its psychiatric clinic, the first to specialize in blindness.

1964   The Guild launches a program for multi-disabled young adults.

1971   The Guild moves its headquarters to the Estelle R. Newman City Center at 15 West 65th Street in Manhattan.

1984   GuildCare, The Guild’s Adult Day Health Care Program, opens at the Guild Home and in the Bronx.

1989   The Elizabeth L. Newman Preschool opens in Manhattan.

1990   The Day Treatment Program opens, serving people who are visually impaired, hearing-impaired and multi-disabled.

1994   The Diagnostic and Treatment Center opens at the City Center.

1996   The Guild and Bascom Palmer Eye Institute of the University of Miami School of Medicine completes plans for the Lois Pope Jewish Guild for the Blind Low Vision Center, located in Palm Beach Gardens.

1997   The Guild establishes GuildNet, a managed long-term care program.

1998   The Guild’s Assistive Technology Center opens at the City Center.

2000   SightCare, the Guild’s program to educate caregivers for blind and visually impaired persons, commences training.

2003   The Guild awards the first Alfred W. Bressler Prize in Vision Science to Richard A. Lewis, MD, MS.

2004   Our national GuildScholar Program begins.

2006   The Children's Vision Health program starts, offering the first national tele-support group for parents of children with vision impairments.

2010   GuildCare celebrates 25 years of service.

More
Get started with the Guild.
We’re convenient to you.

 
 
 
Share this
Bookmark and Share

NEWSLETTER

Send me your monthly e-news